SM Entertainment Launches ‘SM Universe’ Idol School, Netizens Criticize Price
In the middle of Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, SM Entertainment’s SM UNIVERSE idol training center was built.
It was created by SM Entertainment with the aim of promoting global artists. The main target group are high school students dropping out of general education and focusing on entering the entertainment industry.
Students accepted into SM Universe Academy enroll in the 3-year program as an alternative to regular high school, majoring in producing, singing, dancing, modeling, or acting instead.
Since there are no regular high school courses offered at the academy, students take regular GED exam preparation courses instead.
According to a report on March 14, SM Entertainment will open its doors to the label’s private “idol school” on March 15. According to the report, each semester costs its students up to 10 million won.
Registration will take place in September this year, with auditions starting in July or August.
Netizens couldn’t help but express their skepticism about the news. Some netizens remarked that it seemed as if the label was trying to pass on the costs incurred by the trainees to the trainees themselves.
- “Sigh, they are literally selling kids a dream. »
- “I think it sucks that students have to drop out of school. »
- “I understand kids who are tempted by pretty and glamorous things, but I really don’t understand parents who send their kids there. »
- “Wow, that’s really expensive. If you are a trainee it is free. Is it because it’s difficult to become an apprentice with a big label? »
- “Wow, a label like SM Entertainment wouldn’t charge their idols for training, but I think they make money off it instead. »
- ” It is expensive. “
- “Wow, it’s really expensive and they require students to drop out of school. I don’t think that’s fair. »
- “They charge money to become an apprentice LOL. »
What do you think ?