Not only heart disease, cavities also cause Sinusitis
Do not underestimate the problem shock every little one. On National Oral Health Day 2022, you are reminded that small cavities can lead to sinusitis.
Dentist Hanny Ilanda from the Dental Specialist Hospital at RSPI Puri Indah said toothache rarely causes death, but it can be annoying. Toothache can interfere with daily activities to cause other health complaints, including sinusitis.
“It is common knowledge that bacteria in the teeth can cause heart disease. But it turns out that not only that, bacteria in the mouth can cause sinusitis,” said Hanny in an official statement. . CNNIndonesia.com, Monday (12/9).
It can be difficult to recognize the connection between bacteria in the teeth and mouth and sinusitis. In fact, invisible cavities in teeth allow bacteria to enter and infect organs. Cavities develop due to poor oral hygiene.
Leftover food around the teeth will form plaque which then turns into acid. The acidic environment, continued Hanny, causes the destruction of the enamel and dentin of the surface of the tooth.
Over time, the cavity will penetrate and destroy the bone around the tooth until it penetrates the root of the tooth. The condition is more appropriate if the cavities are molars near the maxillary sinus.
It appears that the maxillary sinus is the largest sinus cavity located below the eyes and above the maxillary molars. The roots of the maxillary molars are generally located near the bottom of the maxillary sinus. In some cases, the root of the tooth is connected to the bottom of the sinus.
“Physical pressure is what causes dental disease that spreads to the roots and can cause sinusitis. And on the contrary, inflammation that occurs in the sinuses will cause pain in the teeth below,” he said.
So there are measures that should be taken to prevent caves like this.
1. Brush your teeth in the morning after breakfast and at night before going to bed.
2. Brush the tongue for 30 seconds to reduce the number of bacteria in the mouth.
3. Clean the teeth by using dental floss (tooth brush) so that the rest of the food stuck in the gap of the teeth can be lifted.
4. Gargle with mouthwash to improve teeth cleaning. Choose a mouthwash that does not contain alcohol.
5. Do not eat after brushing at night.
6. Reduce the consumption of sweet and gummy foods.
7. Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
8. Replace the toothbrush every two months of use or when the bristles of the brush bloom.
9. Keep the toothbrush dry when not in use to prevent the toothbrush from becoming soft and sticky.
Hanny also reminded that you should regularly visit the dentist every six months to get dental and oral care that is suitable for the condition of your teeth and mouth.
With a visit to the dentist, you will receive several treatments, including a general examination of the teeth, cleaning of plaque, filling in case of caries, scaling or cleaning of tartar, and applying fluoride to the surface of the tooth.
National Oral and Dental Health Day 2022, so that cavities do not appear in the teeth and bring more health problems including sinusitis.