Jay D’ENHYPEN is criticized for his comment on Korean history and apologizes
ENHYPEN member Jay was heavily criticized for his remarks on Korean history, and the idol issued an official apology.
On January 10th, Jay did a livestream with fellow ENHYPEN Sunhoon. The topic of Korean history came up when his colleague Sunhoon said on the live broadcast: “I find Korea’s history really interesting. »
In response, Jay said: “I’m more interested in world history. I learned a lot of Korean history at school. »
Then he continued: “History is a subject that interests me, so I can say for myself that there isn’t much material on Korean history. You study it for a few weeks, look at what little material there is, and that’s it. It’s like a short story.
But other countries, there is no end of story. I have researched the history of every possible country and there is no end to the rich stories. These countries, their stories go on and so on. But Korea’s story is just beginning and then ending so quickly. How is that all? »
It goes without saying that Korea’s history is particularly rich and dates back to very ancient times. Korea’s history spans thousands of years. According to Samguk Yuksa, Korea’s first kingdom, Gojoseon, was founded in 2333 BC. founded. JC
Jay’s words were therefore heavily criticized by the Korean public.
In response to the criticism, Jay released an official apology via Weverse on January 11. He wrote :
“Hello, this is Jay from ENHYPEN.
After today’s Weverse Live I was totally shocked by everyone’s reaction.
Whatever the reason, I sincerely apologize for causing discomfort in ENGENE’s heart.
I have spoken too casually on such an important topic as Korean history based only on my personal impression.
I shouldn’t have spoken so thoughtlessly with the little knowledge I have on the subject.
Once again it was time for me to realize how much I still had to learn.
I never intended to mention our country’s proud history lightly, but I see now that my remarks could very well have ended that way, and it is my fault. I apologize.
I will pay more attention and study to become an artist that doesn’t embarrass the ENGENEs.
I always learn so much from you all.
Despite the idol’s apology, netizens expressed their disappointment and anger at Jay’s remarks.
- “Our country’s history is so long and there is so much to learn… That’s why learning more about Korean history is so important. »
- “The historical roots of our country are really deep! Even someone who doesn’t know much about it like me.
- “His intentions were mean and the content (of his remarks) was stupid. »
- “Anyway, LOL. If thousands of years of history are missing information and it’s a short novel, is America (history) sketch comedy? »
- “That’s how he spreads the name of the group. He said these things even though his cock was trying to hold him back. »
- “I can’t forgive him. I don’t usually bother with idol controversies and that’s why I don’t even leave comments, but this is really unforgivable. »
- “Even I, a “real” Korean, found Korean history classes very difficult and asked my ancestors why they recorded so much (history). I remember drinking so much soju after the tests. What is this guy saying? »
- “I’m really worried ㅠㅠ. Who are you to downplay our story? ㅠㅠ. »
On the other hand, Jay, who is known for having dual citizenship in South Korea and the United States, completed much of his elementary education in Korea.
What do you think ?