Actor Kang Ji Sub tears up portrait of JMS Jesus to prove his severed ties with the cult, netizens still divided over his innocence
After the Netflix docuseries In the name of God: holy treason exposed the corruptions and crimes of said South Korean sect jms, Internet users continue to search for public figures who may be associated with the group. A few days ago, the actor Sous Marin Kang Ji was suspected of being part of the JMS cult, after which he deleted his entire Instagram account and then publicly apologized, saying he had severed ties with the group years ago.
The famous Korean actor admits to being part of the JMS cult, netizens are skeptical that he is really gone
One of the key clues that led netizens to suspect Kang’s connection to the cult was a portrait of Jesus in his closet. During a broadcast in 2022, Kang showed viewers his dressing room adorned with a JMS proprietary portrait of Jesus. Apparently, cult members prefer portraits that have a unique look, as if Jesus had been enhanced with a beauty filter.
Though Kang denied continuing to be a part of the group as the portrait was still in his closet in 2022, the public were skeptical of believing his statement. Perhaps in a desperate attempt to prove his innocence, Kang tore up the photo and posted it to KST on his social media on March 13. He added the caption: “I should have thrown it away a long time ago, why did I keep it in my stash?”
His actions began to sway people partially in his favor. Although there are still some skeptics, most netizens agree that ex-members like Kang should be given a safe space to speak freely about their experiences in such cults as they too are victims of the situation.
- “You celebrated his birthday, how could you not know that?” ㅋㅋ”
- “Let’s not make this a witch hunt, folks. We should go after Jung Myung Suk and the people who protect him… not those who fell for it. They are all victims too.
- “I don’t think it’s fair to tease believers like that. If he had a higher rank, then of course it’s fair game, but these people are also victims… If we continue to hunt them like this, it will only force the believers to deepen worship ㅠ.
- “These former believers are victims and we must allow them to feel brave enough to share their testimonies. I am sure that anyone who dared to question Jung Myeong Suk was told that he lacked faith…”
- “But you wouldn’t normally call a pastor ‘teacher.'”
- “Did he really tear up the photo?” Because it looks like he just ripped off the back of the frame…”
- “We should celebrate and support people who are leaving these cults so that they continue to come forward and leave.”
- “If he’s been a believer since he was in college up to 4 or 5 years ago, even that makes him a believer for 15+ years. If he were such a faithful follower of his pastor, I don’t think you could go so easily!